PLEASE REVIEW THE FOLLOWING GUIDELINES
Director’s Creativity Showcase 2021
GUIDELINES FOR ILLUSTRATIVE ART AND CRAFTS
Who can enter the competition?
This competition is open to any individual receiving Missouri Department of Mental Health services through the Division of Behavioral Health and the Division of Developmental Disabilities.
Entries may be entered in ONE of the following categories:
- Substance Use Disorders
- Mental Illness
- Developmental Disabilities
- Entries are limited to ONE (1) per person, although a person may help with a group project and still enter an individual project.
- All entries must have an entry form attached and a signed release form submitted. (see “How To Submit an Entry” below)
- Artwork entered in the Substance Use Disorders, Mental Illness, Developmental Disabilities or Professional categories can be paintings, sketches, crafts, sculptures, needlework, clay designs, creative art projects, etc.
4. All entries in the “Photography” category shall abide by the following guidelines:
* Photographs taken with a digital camera or conventional films are eligible
* Minor burning, dodging and/or color correction is acceptable. Cropping is acceptable, as are fish-eye lenses. Any changes to the original photograph not itemized here are unacceptable and will make the photograph ineligible for the contest.
* Mounted or framed photographs are acceptable but must not have glass in the frame. (Plexiglas is acceptable)
* No photograph of an identifiable person may be submitted without a signed model release.
- The Contest entrant must be the artist/photographer him or herself. The entry must be original work. By entering the Contest, entrant represents, acknowledges, and warrants that the submitted artwork/photograph are original works created by the entrant and that no other party has any right, title, claim or interest in the entry.
- Computer generated art is NOT accepted.
- Obscene, provocative, or otherwise objectionable content will not be considered and such determination is solely at the discretion of the Missouri Mental Health Foundation.
- Pieces that are framed, matted and/or covered with acetate are acceptable. DO NOT SEND ARTWORK WITH GLASS IN THE FRAME. Please use Plexiglass, a plastic cover or no covering at all in the frame.
- Please LIMIT the SIZE of your artwork to no larger than 2 ft. by 2 ft. Larger pieces are difficult to store and return to the artist.
- Do not send items that are fragile if the artist is concerned about breakage.
- If the artist would like to include brief biographical information, a personal story about the artwork or disclose their disability, they may do so on the back of the release form. This is optional and will not have any bearing on whether the piece is chosen for statewide display.
SALE OF ARTWORK:
- Currently, there are two opportunities for the artwork to be sold. The first opportunity is when the art submissions are judged. The artwork will be on display for judging and for purchase (after the judging is completed) at the DMH – Central Office in February. The second opportunity is at the annual Mental Health Champions’ Banquet, scheduled in June.
- If the artist indicates they wish to sell their entry on their “Entry Form”, but does not provide a price, the piece will be marked for sale at $25.00.
The Missouri Mental Health Foundation collects a 10% handling fee on each piece
EXHIBITING AND RETURN OF ARTWORK: (Refer to Attachment A)
- Some of the submissions will be selected for the annual Traveling Show, which is an opportunity for the general public to view the art display, at multiple venues across Missouri, from August through December.
In July, you will be notified by the Missouri Mental Health Foundation if your artwork is selected for the Traveling Show. If selected, your artwork will not be returned until the following January.
- Arrangements will be made in July/August to return pieces not sold or selected for the Traveling Show.
- Please refer to Attachment A for a timeline of activities associated with the Director’s Creativity Showcase.
HOW TO SUBMIT AN ENTRY:
- ENTRY FORM (Refer to Attachment B)
- Each entry must be identified with the entry form label
- Please fill out all the areas on the entry form label, including the CATEGORY.
Labels should be typed or printed neatly so we have accurate information for all correspondence.. The artist may title their work if they choose to do so. A place on the entry form label is provided.
- The facility contact and address information is crucial. This information is used for the return of the artwork and when questions arise.
- The entry form label MUST be attached to each piece of artwork.
RELEASE FORM (Refer to Attachment C)
- A release form, signed by the artist/guardian, as well as a witness, MUST accompany all art, photos, and craft items submitted.
- Artists should be aware that their work may be placed on public display and that confidentiality is not possible if their name is visible when displaying their artwork.
- A signed release form allows the Missouri Mental Health Foundation, and the Missouri Department of Mental Health, to use images of the art in its promotional materials.
- Please do not attach the release forms to the artwork itself.
- SUBMISSION OF ENTRIES
To save on the cost of mailing artwork, you may deliver entries to a participating Department of Mental Health facility or provider agency. (IF YOU DELIVER ARTWORK TO A FACILITY – PLEASE NOTE THE DIFFERENT DEADLINE BELOW)
Arrangements will be made with the facilities to transport the artwork to Jefferson City.
- A listing of participating facilities and contact names can be found on Attachment D
- Entries may also be delivered or mailed to one of the following locations:
Department of Mental Health OR Missouri Mental Health Foundation
Office of Public and Legislative Affairs Attn: Rachelle Masters
Attn: Debra Walker 221 Metro Drive., Suite C
1706 E. Elm Street Jefferson City, MO 65109
Jefferson City, MO 65101
DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING ENTRIES
- Entries must be received by the Missouri Mental Health Foundation or the Department of Mental Health-Central Office in Jefferson City by Friday, January 29, 2021.
IF you are delivering artwork to one of the designated Department of Mental Health facilities or provider agencies, you will need to deliver the artwork to the location at least one week prior to the deadline (by January 22, 2021) so arrangements can be made for its transport to Jefferson City by the deadline.
DUE TO COVID-19, PLEASE NOTE THE SPECIAL DELIVERY INSTRUCTIONS LISTED ON THE FACILITY DROP OFF LIST (Attachment D)
For the following three (3) categories, 1st – 5th place awards will be provided as noted below.
Substance Use Disorders, Mental Illness and Developmental Disabilities
1st = $200
2nd = $150
3rd = $100
4th = $ 75
5th = $ 25
Professional: Best of Show = $250
1st = $150
2nd = $100
3rd = $ 75
If you have any questions about the Director’s Creativity Showcase, please contact:
Missouri Mental Health Foundation
Attn: Rachelle Masters
Phone: (573) 635-9201
Please download the necessary forms for artwork entries:
A. Timeline for Director’s Creativity Showcase for 2021
B. Entry Form necessary to attach to all artwork entries for 2021
C. Release Form necessary for each artwork entry 2021
D. Listing of Drop Off Facilities for artwork entries for 2021
Downloadable copy of all of the rules and guidelines for the 2021 Director’s Creativity Showcase
The 2020 Director’s Creativity Traveling Show will be on display next at:
University of Missouri – Columbia
901 E. Rollins
October 16th – October 30th, 2020
Unfortunately due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many of our usual venues are not available this year. We will post venues and dates as they become available.
2021 Award Winners will be announced March 2021!