The Conference Planning Committee is accepting workshop presentation applications for the Real Voices Real Choices Conference. Self-advocates, persons in recovery, family members, and mental health professionals (who have lived experience) are encouraged to submit an application. The planning committee would like to have exciting, inspiring and interactive presentations that will empower attendees to take action that will improve their lives. Each year the committee receives a variety of topics and presentations. This year, the committee would especially like to see dynamic presentations that allow the attendees to participate.
Please note: Like last year, the conference will have specific tracks that include Substance Use Disorder, Mental Illness, Developmental Disability, Family and Youth, or other. You will be able to indicate which track your presentation belongs in on the application below. If you are unable to pick one, please explain your choice and the committee will assist.
Suggested topics include:
- Suicide Prevention
- Young Adult and Guardianship/consent
- Family and youth engagement
- Drum Circle
- Specific Disorders
- Organizational Skills
- Trauma Informed Care
- Deaf Culture
- How LGBTQ affects mental health
- Medication Assisted Treatment
- Addiction from the Medicine Cabinet
- Abuse (elder and child)
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Peer Specialist Classes
- Communication skills
- Anger Management
- Art, Music, Spirituality
- Peer panel with FSP, CPS, etc.
- Dealing with hotline calls as a Parent
- Juvenile Justice System
- How to Become a Peer Specialist
- Pet Therapy/Service Animals
- Puppies and Parolees
- Leadership Skills
- Family Interactions
- People First Language
- How to Do a Presentation
- Crisis Intervention Team (CIT)
- Public Administrators
- Assistive Technology
- Organizing a Committee
- Substance use and mental health co-occurring treatment and support for families
- Communication between school, hospitals, CMHCS, etc.
- Mood Swings, Anger and Aggressiveness
- School and Mental Health
- Hiring and Firing Staff
- Transition age youth
- When thinking about a title, consider a “catchy” title that will draw people to your workshop; however, please make sure the title of the presentation matches the content.
- When developing a workshop application, consider what conference attendees will want to learn. Is it a new idea or a different way of presenting information on a previous topic?
- What will make your presentation stand out from others going on at the same time?
- Will your presentation be helpful to others and will they be able to take valuable information home to share with others?
- Will your information be easy to understand?
- If you are a professional, the Committee values the collaboration and involvement of self-advocates, persons in recovery and family members in each workshop presentation.
- Sessions will be a total of 60 minutes. (45 minutes for presentation and 15 minutes for questions and answers)
- As many as 200 people may attend a session
- Applications are due by end of day March 5, 2019 (late submissions will not be considered)
- Presenters will not be paid for their presentation or travel expenses
- Conference fees will not be waived for presenters
- All presenters will be asked to prepare and submit a Powerpoint presentation OR a presentation outline. Power points are NOT REQUIRED.
- If handouts are needed for the workshop, presenters must supply all handouts or special supplies in order for the audience to participate in the session.
- The description of the presenter and presentation on this form are used in the program booklet, so please make sure they are accurate and include all of your presenters if you have more than one.
- The Planning Committee reserves the right to make suggestions for final approval.
Individuals wanting to submit an application must complete the enclosed form by the end of day on March 5, 2019. We ask that all mailed applications be typed.
You may send your application to:
Missouri Mental Health Foundation
Attn: Consumer Conference
221 Metro Drive, Suite C
Jefferson City, MO 65109
Via e-mail email@example.com
You may fill out an application online HERE
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION IS END OF DAY MARCH 5, 2019
The Conference Committee will review all applications at the March planning meeting. If your presentation is chosen, you will be notified by April 26th and asked to submit a PowerPoint or outline by May 1st. The committee will then review your Powerpoint at the May meeting and make a final determination on whether you will be asked to present at the conference.